Sunday, February 18, 2018

Wow What a Week! Tour Divide


I don’t think training for Tour Divide could be going better at this point! My training plan, which is pretty standard in endurance training, is to progress intensity and quantity over three weeks, recover and recharge for a week, then start the cycle all over again at a higher level. I know I’m on track when I’m still strong and enthusiastic going into the third week but also looking forward to the recovery week.
 
Some of the "Boys" out for a good ol fashion hammer fest
It seems during this 3-week phase I had the perfect mix of high intensity, recovery, and endurance. Hit some of the highest power numbers in a couple years and got in some great 8+ hour rides. It’s a mix of fun and work. Getting out with the boys (ranging from mid 40s – 60) each Saturday, we hammer each other like we are still in High School. These rides remind me so much of my high school track and cross-country days. I’m SO thankful that I can still go out and play, just like back in high school. 

Saturday Morning Run/Hike with Max the Dog

Red Rocks on Saturday
This was the third week of the latest cycle. It was brutal but extremely rewarding. Core strength training Monday, long 2 ½ - 3-hour morning commutes Tuesday and Thursday, High Intensity Intervals Wed morning, evening commutes, recovery day Friday, Runs with Max, 4.5  hours Saturday (including 2-hour hammer fest with the boys), then 11 hours Sunday with almost 9,000 feet of climbing. This ride also included hooking up with Kevin Cahn and Tom Turney after six hours in the saddle. For 2 ½ hours I hung on for dear life following them through fast technical single track in Ute Valley and steep climbs in Red Rocks Canyon. For 2 ½ hours they chewed me up then spit me out, and then went home, leaving me with another 2+ hours to ride.

Sunday - Good Morning Colorado Springs!


Looking at Pikes Peak from 9,500 Feet 
Back Down in Town at 6,400 feet

Needless to say, I was a hurtin puppy those last two hours. My butt hurt (I’m still wearing in the new saddle), my feet hurt, and my wrist hurt. The wind picked up and I struggled. But guess what, this is just a small taste of what the Tour Divide is going to be like every day. I couldn’t help but be thankful that I was suffering those last couple hours. Great training!

There’s also lessons to be learned here. One; I need to come up with a better handlebar setup. Need more than just one position for my wrists all day. Possibly bar ends or aero bars or both. Two; hammering for 2+ hours in the middle of a 11-hour ride may be good for training, but it is definitely not something I want to do during the Tour Divide. I need to find my 3,000-mile intensity and stay consistent. That will come as we get closer to the race. The nearer the race the more race specific the training.

 
Kevin and Tom Came to Chew me up and Spit me Out

For now, I’m really looking forward to “Recovery and Recharge” week.
Happy Trails!

-larry

Week Summary

Monday:
PM - Core Strength Training
Tuesday:
AM – Run with Max the Dog 2.5 miles, trainer + morning commute 3 hrs (with flat) 52 miles
PM – Evening commute 40 minutes 7.3 miles

Wednesday:
AM – High Intensity Intervals (14 x 1 min uphill sprints) warm-up, cool down 1.2 hrs, 12.4 miles, morning commute 39 minutes, 7.2 miles
PM – Evening commute 41 minutes, 7.2 miles

Thursday:
AM – Morning Commute 3.2 hrs, 36 miles, 2,500 feet climbing
PM- Evening Commute 42 minutes, 7.4 miles

Friday:
AM – Recovery/Recharge high cadence spinning on trainer 1 hr, 17 miles

Saturday:
AM – Hike/Run with Max the Dog, 6.1 miles. Hard, fast, high intensity mountain bike ride 4.6 hrs, 35 miles, 4,800 feet climbing

Sunday:
All Day -  MTB Ride – 11:03 total time 9:37 moving time, 93 miles, 8,700 feet climbing

Total:

30 hrs, 274 miles, 19,849 feet climbing

No comments:

Post a Comment